The Many Uses Of Vinegar!



The Many Uses Of Vinegar!


Ever since I was a young girl, it always seemed like my grandmother was always talking about vinegar. She would tell me things like, "if ever you feel like sickness is coming on; take a swig of vinegar, take vinegar pill, or eat a pickle ('cause you know it has vinegar in it'). She would also add on, "I take vinegar every day and because of this I have not had the cold or flu in about twenty years." The grandchildren always thought she was crazy! But it turns out my grandmother knew what she was talking about. 


According to Heinz (n.d.), " vinegar is made up of sun-ripened grains and crystal clear water."

There are many uses that vinegar can be used with. Today I have gathered up a few of the most common ways. Some of them you may or may not have thought of.

CLEANING: 
Natural Rise Aid; Simply add a cup of white vinegar to the dishwasher and it will help eliminate the spots and any film. (I have recently done this and I was impressed out how clear my glass came out to be).

Non-Stick Stain Remover: Take a cloth and soak it in white vinegar and rub into your discolored pots and it should slowly being to remove stains and preserve your cookware. 

Clogged Kitchen Pipes from Grease?: Simply add 1-1/2 cups of white vinegar with about a 1/2 cup of baking soda and pour down drain. Seal the drain and wait about a half an hour then turn on faucet and rise. 

Ant Problems: Combine equal parts vinegar and equal parts water and mop or spray in areas where ants are prevalent

Mopping: I like to add about 1-2 cups to my bucket of hot water to mop my floors. White vinegar does not leave residue and is recommended for cleaning wood floors. 

HEALTH:
Sunburns: take a moist cloth and add some vinegar then dab on skin. This will reduce the redness which will help with the pain. If you burn easily, like me one thing my grandmother would tell me to do is soak in a bath made of luke warm water and several cups of vinegar. This sounds crazy but has worked every time. Especially with the second degree burns that leave blisters!

High Blood Sugar: According to Web Md taking two tablespoons of raw apple cider vinegar before bedtime can reduce blood sugar levels by 4-6%. (Wish I knew this when I was pregnant).

Sore Throat: I have been diagnosed with chronic tonsillitis. After having a sore throat for 4 months I gargled some vinegar with water as hot as I could stand it. Guess what my throat felt so much better afterwards. 

Heartburn: There are some people that claim that mixing; 1 Tbs of Raw Apple Cider Vinegar with 4oz of water after a meal can help with heartburn. 

COOKING:
Easy Marinade: Add one cup of white/cider/wine vinegar with one cup of liquid bullion (Haven't tried this let me know how it works out for you). 


No More Cracking Eggs: For every quart of water you boil your eggs with add two Tbs of  white vinegar. This should help prevent cracking and make it easier to peel the eggs. 


No Buttermilk In The Pantry ?: If you are needing some buttermilk but do not have any in stock. Add a Tbs to regular milk and problem solved. It now works the same as buttermilk. 


Make Veggies Last Longer: Notice that your veggies are starting to go bad? Soak them in some cold water and add about a 1-2 Tbs per quart. This should revive your veggies. 


LAUNDRY:
Odors: Pour about 2 cups of white vinegar to your laundry and it will remove odors. It even absorbs cigarette smoke. 


Removes Stains: Blot the stain on your clothing with a wet cloth that has been soaked in undiluted white vinegar and let it sit for 24 hours and it should remove most stains, including wine and cola. 


Protect colors: Immerse your clothing in full strength vinegar and it will help preserve the color of your clothing. 




There are so many many ways vinegar can be used. Its safe for babies and pets and it contains no harsh chemicals. You can buy a large container of vinegar for no more than 3-4 dollars. I use vinegar with everything. It has cut down the cost of cleaning supplies tremendously. For more information about how to use vinegar check out Heinz Vinegar site here: http://www.heinzvinegar.com/tips/laundry-room

Please Follow Me With GFC

Comments

  1. (just a little tip I learned) For people who want to clean with vinegar but don't want the smell you just drop in orange peels and let it sit for abut 3 weeks and there you go it smells like orange now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Drop the orange peels in the vinegar bottle?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts