Baa Baa Black Sheet Have You Any Wool?

Baa Baa Black Sheep Have You Any Wool?


My dream job would to work for a yarn shop and just knit all day. I absolutely enjoy knitting and its a great pastime to quit bad habits, pass time, and calm the mind. It may sound silly to some, but I dream of having a few alpacas and sheep for the simplicity of using their coat for yarn. I never really put much thought in the yarn making process. 

I have always adored art yarn but could never bring myself to buy the costly art yarns that range from $30-40 a skein. So I decided its about time I teach myself how to spin yarn. I went to the local yarn store here in Sandy and bought a yarn spindle and a bag of merino wool roving. A total cost of about $27.00. Its cheaper then buying a skein of art yarn so what the heck. I thought spinning yarn would be very easy, but it turns out that its trickier than I thought. My first attempts my roving kept kinking up and I could not manage to make yarn without it either being so thin is breaks or two thick and uneven. 

I realized that yarn spinning is not going to happen overnight and that it is going to take much practice like it did learning how to knit and crochet. I feel that I have almost mastered both but I remember when I had a moment where it seemed that things just clicked. 

I was however, able to form about a 1 oz ball of yarn. The gage in the yarn however varied greatly. Because I am in the process trying to get back to my husband in Germany all my knitting supplies were sent home. The circulars that I do have, had my knitted prayer shawl on them. And the only crochet hook I had was a size N hook. Huge. But I said what the heck I have enough yarn for a newborn hat. I am pleased at how the variety in gage gave an interesting range of textures throughout the hat. 


Now I need to figure out what projects I want to start once I figure out how to spin roving correctly. 

Note Be Sure to Check out my blog giveaway http://vanessaurias11.blogspot.com/2012/08/magic-warble-by-victoria-simcox-giveaway.html

Comments

Popular Posts