The "C" word!

Due to certain circumstances, I decided that it was best for me to have my IUD mirena removed. During the procedure my physician went ahead and performed a pap-smear. Doctor said everything looked normal, have a nice day. Approximately a week later, I received a phone call from my family doctor saying that the pap smear had came back abnormal and that it showed that I had precancerous or cancerous cells within my cervix. I was told that I was being referred to a gynecologist who could perform a biopsy on my cervix to determine how severe 'things' were. 

The biopsy for the cervix was much like having a pap-smear performed. Only exceptions is it involves dying the cervix with a vinegar solution and numbing it to snip off a piece of tissue for the biopsy. I felt some minor cramping when it happened but it went away shortly after a few seconds. Then this concoction of a mixture was applied to the area that was biopsied  to expedite the healing process. I was told no sex for at least 24 hours. 

About 4 days later, my doctor called so I wouldn't have to stress over Thanksgiving about my test results. He had told me that I was one level away from it becoming a superficial cancer and that I would also have to have a procedure done to remove the precancerous areas of my cervix. And that would be performed the next time I went into the office. There was also some bad news. He said that it had spread to the glands of my cervix which meant that it could also spread faster to the surrounding areas. When I go in to have the procedure done for my cervix, I will also be having a biopsy done in the uterine area to make sure it has not spread to that area. Worst case scenario, I may be having a hysterectomy. 

At the age of 24 most people my age rarely think of the possibility of developing cancer and diseases. But from my experience it can happen! So ladies please! I urge to please get your pap-smears done at least once a year even every 6 months. Cervical cancer is the number one preventive cancer, and can be cured with surgery if caught in time. 

Comments

Popular Posts